Thursday morning, Buddy Owens gave an amazing message. The premise? Stop using a Bible reading plan. He made a good case. Here are my notes…
- If you want to be like Christ, you need to know what Christ is like.
- Reading the Bible is reading God’s mind.
- Stop promising God that you will read your Bible a certain amount or pray an hour a day.
- Bible reading and prayer are not two separate activities: they are two parts of a conversation.
- Read for depth. Not for distance.
- Let the Word steep in your soul like a teabag in water.
- Six Things to do when Reading the Bible for Depth, or when Taking a Scenic Drive
1. Fill your tank (pray).
2. Choose the road.
- Stay in a book of the Bible until you reach the end.
- Don’t rush the conversation.
3. Slow down and enjoy the scenery.
4. Pull off at a scenic viewpoint.
- Read a passage repeatedly, emphasizing a different word each time.
5. Take a picture of yourself.
6. Send home a postcard (pray again).
- When you worship an eternal God, you don’t need to be in a hurry.